Sunday, August 22, 2010

Skyler's Story..

I have the greatest little nephew Skyler!  He is 4 years old and one of the funniest kids I have met!  He LOVES his Mommy, playing his DS, camping and all his family!  He is Mommy's little protector and always makes sure his mom is doing ok.  He is Kayson's best friend, he has been his buddy since day one!  It's so much fun to watch them grow together! 
Here is Skyler with his Mom posin for the camera..(they both sure love the camera) :)
I love this kid to pieces! 
On August 17, 2010 Skyler was diagnosed with ALL Leukemia.  He has been sick on and off his whole life, he recently underwent two different surgeries to remove masses from his lower jaw.  His mom noticed his becoming more sick about two weeks ago.  He had a fever on and off for a week, his eye lids became puffy and his face started to swell.  Crystal decided something was not right and on Saturday the 14th took him to the Instacare to which they just gave him an antibiotic and sent him home saying it was just allergies. (Ignoring his mothers concerns and said it didn't matter what type of allergy that it was just some sort of allergy)  Well being the AMAZING mother my sister is she continued to feel that something was not right and he began to have excessive bruising that could not be explained and his belly began portruding.  She decided to take him to see his Dr. on Tuesday the 17th.  His Dr. determined that his liver and spleen were very swollen and told her to take him staight up to Primary Children's hospital.  It did not take long after having him in the E.R. up there for them to determine what was wrong with him.  That night I got that dreaded phone call from my mom that I hope to never again have to experience!  Todd was so sweet and stayed home with the boys so that Summer and I could run up to the hospital to see our little boy!  He was so sick and in so much pain it was heartbreaking!  The following day the blood tests came back and determined that he had Leukemia type ALL.  This type is the lesser of the two types but he has it bad.  That afternoon he was taken into surgery to have a central line placed in his heart for his treatments and IV's.  During the surgery for that they also started Chemo in his spine and took Bone Marrow from his hip.  During the surgery he began to bleed from his lungs.  They were able to get the bleeding under control but he still has fluid in his lungs and has to be on oxygen.  His blood pressure has been extremely high the last few days and he has gained 10 lbs from all the extra fluids.  He is having a hard time peeing the fluids back out and so is swollen to twice his size.  It kills me to see him like this and in so much pain!  We love you sooooo much Skyler and know you can be strong and fight this cancer!!  Get well soon little man!!  Always remember.....
Cancer FEARS YOU!!!!!

5 comments:

Katy said...

This just breaks my heart! I know he will pull through it and you will all be strong from this. What a hard trial though. If I can do anything please let me know.

The Nelsons said...

Poor poor little man. My heart goes out so much to your sister. I can't imagine what she is going through. I'd love to help out in any way I can. Never hesitate to ask if you need me to watch Kayson so you can go visit at the hospital or anything else that ever comes up. We'll be bringing stuff to your fundraiser garage sale, too.

Keli and Jacob Langston said...

I am so sorry to hear about little Skyler. I hope that it all turns out for the best. Our prayers are with your family.

Staci said...

Oh Brit you are in our prayers- he and your sis have already been through so much: you are all so tough and together you can make it through anything. We love you and will be praying for you and your whole family.

Anonymous said...

Bless his little heart. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him.